Fostering Challenging Teens
Could you foster a challenging teen?
Foster Carers are expected to care for young people aged 13 to 18. Some young people have often had difficult childhoods, experienced abuse or neglect and may have spent much of their childhood in care. This is what many fostering services refer to as challenging teens.
Carers need determination and a sense of humour to stick by these young people through the good times and the bad.
Fostering challenging teens can be demanding, but is very rewarding at the same time, as it really gives carers a sense of accomplishment.
Do you have:
- Personal experience of caring for children through to adult-hood
- Professional experience of working with teenagers
- Great deal of patience, flexibility, empathy and stamina
- No other children (under 16) at home
- At least one spare bedroom
- Offer consistent and firm boundaries
- Manage their feelings, emotions and behaviour
- Effectively communicate and negotiate with young people
- Develop practical and life skills in young people
If you have experience, and are up for a very rewarding challenge, call us now on 020 3397 3332